As pointed out earlier. Sea Pines was the original planned development on the island, and became the model for those which followed. The "Grandfather" off Island-Plantations was founded in 1956 by Charles Fraser. For a number of years Sea Pines and Hilton Head were synonymous. For most the candy striped lighthouse in Harbour Town has come to symbolize the Island and its sensitive mix of residential and visitor oriented developments and recreational facilities blended anonymously into their natural surroundings. Sea Pines is home to both the MCI Heritage Classic, a popular tournament on the PGA tour, and the Family Circle Tennis Tournament. With over 5,000 acres it is the largest of the Island's plantations. Almost 1300 of these acres are devoted to parks, forest preserves, lagoons and marshlands!
- Golf - Three public courses (54 holes) / one private course (18 holes)
- Tennis - 80 courts
- Swimming - pools in all visitor areas
- Beach - 6 miles
- Marinas - 2
- Fishing - Lagoon, creek, and deep water. Charters available.
- Sailing - Rentals of boats and sailboards. Lessons available.
- Riding - Lawton stables. Trail rides in the Forest Preserve.
- Bike Paths - 40 miles plus
- Shopping - 3 major shopping areas available
- Access - Controlled/daily or annual passes for a fee.
- Club Information - golf, tennis, swimming, social - billed quarterly according to resident/non-resident status.